Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Redacted Context.

As you can see, I have been on a bit of a laser-printer and newsprint binge lately, and it's only going to get worse. I have been busy and have a lot to share. This weekend I will unveil some printmaking that has been the real focus of my attentions this semester (that means thesis work---hurrah). But for now I'm going to offload these works on newsprint.

In addition to printing my own work on blank newsprint, I have been experimenting with printing over actual newspapers. For now I have just been printing flat shapes over random City Paper pages in order to learn how opaque toner is and how redaction can alter or enhance a story.

This piece is something of a happy byproduct of experimentation. The blackout has masked most of the textual and visual context, leaving the narrative open to interpretation. What is the story here?


As always, comments are greatly appreciated; what feelings does this appropriation evoke? Is your first instinct to look closer, or back away?

No comments: